Kingsbrook Animal Hospital's Blog: My Blood Test Says I'm Healthy!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Blood Test Says I'm Healthy!


Hi, my name is Emmie and I was adopted from the Frederick County Animal Shelter a couple of weeks ago.  I love my new forever home!  My parents love me very much and do everything they can to keep me happy and healthy.  

Just the other day, Mom and my sisters took me to the doctor's office to have a little blood drawn.  It didn't hurt at all, they gave me treats the whole time, and I didn't even notice the poke.  My Mom told me this blood test was to make sure I didn't have the Feline Leukemia Virus or FIV (the Feline Immunodeficiency Virus.)  She said that these diseases are passed from one cat to another (like from my birth mom to me) and that they can affect my immune system.  The veterinary technician told that it's important to know if a cat has either disease, because they can get medicine to help keep them healthy longer.

Thirty minutes later, a nice man from the Doctor's office called my Mom to let her know the results of my test.  Mom said my results were negative for both Feline Leukemia and FIV.  My mom was very happy!  

I'm very glad I fond out the results of this very important test and the best part was that I got lots of treats & hugs for being such brave girl!