Kingsbrook Animal Hospital's Blog: My journey as a Licensed Veterinary Technician in Frederick, MD

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My journey as a Licensed Veterinary Technician in Frederick, MD


My decision to go back to school to study Veterinary Technology came in my late 20’s after deciding mental health was not my ideal career choice.  I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years at Northern Virginia Community College and had an affinity for the information I learned.  My draw to the profession came from a life of being around horses.  Riding was my passion as a child and young adult and during the 2 years I was in school in VA I had the very fortunate opportunity of working at the Marion Dupont Scott Equine Medical Center in the nursing department.  I learned so much about horse health in my time there and gained a much better appreciation of my relationships with horses when I came from the point of reference of caregiver.  It gave me the ability to take the best care of the horse I had been with since I was 10 years old and ultimately had the pleasure of owning for the last 6 years of his life. 

After graduating from the technician program and passing my national board exam I decided I needed a more “normal” schedule and started working at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital.  After 14 years in the same clinic I have to say I am so fortunate to have found my way here.  My experiences here has shaped me as a professional and a person.  I am so lucky to work with a group of doctors and veterinary professionals that have such dedication to what they do and practice kind and thoughtful medicine.  My experiences as a seasoned technician include anesthesia monitoring, patient care, radiology, dentistry, nutritional counseling, client education, performing diagnostic tests, phlebotomy (drawing blood samples) and intravenous catheter placement.   The diversity of my tasks and my patients keeps my life at work very interesting and non-static.  There is always the opportunity to learn and experience something new, even if you have been in the field for many years.

It is a great feeling to be 17 years into a career and still have a passion for it.  I am motivated to stay in this line of work based on my experiences thus far.  I attribute this outlook to Kingsbrook Animal Hospital.  All employers are not created equally.  My veterinarians appreciate my contribution to the health care team and utilize me to my fullest potential.  This mind set on their part has left me open to learn and grow and feel very useful and productive in my work.  

Being a licensed veterinary technician is very rewarding, but can also be very emotionally taxing.  Relationships people have with their pets are very personal and heart felt.  In helping people care for their pets, especially in critical times, we learn our most important job is helping our clients cope with the stress and heartache of seeing their loved one ill.  I greatly appreciate the relationships I have built with owners over the years in helping them care for their pets.

My chosen profession is one I am very grateful for.  I can’t imagine doing anything else.

Written by Nora McKay-Clark RVT