Kingsbrook Animal Hospital's Blog: Chocolate Toxicity

Monday, May 31, 2010

Chocolate Toxicity

This sweet Senior patient came into Kingsbrook with a history of consuming a large amount of milk chocolate the previous night. "Chipper" presented with symptoms of restlessness, pacing, panting and shaking. Although dark chocolate is more likely to cause toxicity, because of the large volume consumed and the small stature of the dog, it was determined toxicity was likely. Chipper was hospitalized on IV fluids and a variety of medications and is on his way to recovery, thank goodness!!

* Theobromide, a component of chocolate, is toxic to dogs. It can cause central nervous and cardiac stimulation, increased blood pressure, nausea/vomiting and death.