Wednesday, January 11, 2012
What Foods to Avoid in Dogs
You've probably heard it a thousand times before, but just in case you HAVEN'T heard it- here is a list of foods that WE love, but are poisonous for our dogs.
Not to rush it- but the holidays will be here before we know it and these are generally the peak times for our loved furry ones to get into these listed types of foods, so now seems as good a time as any for a quick reminder.
Alcoholic Beverages: May cause intoxication, coma, and/or death
Avocados: contains persin which may cause vomiting and diarrhea
Chocolate: contains a chemical compound that is both a heart stimulant and diuretic which maybe fatal(not to mention at holiday time the foil and wrappings chocolate comes packaged in is harsh on the digestive system and can get blocked)
Coffee, Tea and Other caffeinated drinks; caffeine of any kind can be toxic to the heart and nervous system
Fat Trimmings: can cause pancreatitis- an inflammatory process of the pancreas that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and severe abdoinal pain
Grapes: contains and unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys, potentially causing renal failure
Hops: contains an unknown compound causing panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures and potentially death
Macadamia Nuts: contains an unknown toxin that can cause paralysis and damage to the nervous system
Mushrooms: may contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death
Yeast Dough: the active yeast culture can cause gas in the digestive tract, creating gastric distress and possible digestive tract ruptures
Onions and Garlic: contain sulfoxides and disulfides that can cause damage to red blood cells potentially causing anemia
Nutmeg: if eaten in large amounts, this oil can cause vomiting and abdominal pain as well as central nervous system excitation
Potato Peelings, Rhubarb and Tomato Leaves: contain oxalates which can cause problems with digestive nervous and urinary tract systems
Sweeteners (Xylitol): can cause very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can result in vomiting, weakness and collapse. In high doses can cause liver failure.
Raisins: see grapes
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435