Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Plants That Dogs Are Allergic To
Many common plants can cause your dog to have an allergic reaction if ingested. While symptoms range widely in severity, some plants are more toxic than others and are so highly poisonous they can be lethal. If you have any of these plants in or around your home, it is very important they be kept away from your pet. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic plant, contact a veterinarian immediately.
Aloe vera plants have thick, waxy stems that retain water. They are very sensitive to cold temperatures and are often grown in containers as houseplants. Dogs are highly allergic to aloe, and any aloe plants should be kept in a location where your dog does not have access. A dog that has ingested aloe can show several symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, anorexia, depression or change in urine color. Contact a veterinarian immediately if you think your dog has ingested aloe.
Begonias are a common plant used in flower beds and container gardens. While they are an attractive plant, they are toxic to dogs. There are over 1,000 species of begonias, but all varieties have waxy leaves and compact, dense foliage. Flowers are available in many colors, but all will have a bright yellow center. Ingesting a begonia causes oral irritation in dogs. Signs include burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips; excessive drooling; and difficulty swallowing. Begonias can also cause vomiting.
This attractive and popular garden plant can be deadly to your dog. There are over 50 different species of daffodils and ingesting any of them could make your dog very sick. Daffodil blooms have a trumpet-shaped structure sitting on a star-shaped background. Flowers are typically yellow in color, but can be white, orange, pink or green. Leaves, stems and flowers can cause allergic reactions; however, the daffodil bulb is the most poisonous part of the plant. Symptoms of daffodil poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea. Ingesting large amounts can cause tremors, low blood pressure, convulsions and cardiac arrhythmia.
There are over 250 species of rhododendron; other common names include rosebay and azalea. The plant is highly toxic to dogs, and ingesting just a few leaves can result in severe allergic reactions. Rhododendron contains a toxic component called grayantoxin that interferes with skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle and nerve function. Symptoms include loss of appetite, diarrhea, excessive drooling, colic, loss of coordination, stupor, paralysis of the legs and a weak heart rate that can last for two or more days. If left untreated, your dog may become comatose and die.
Written By: Amy McClain