Kingsbrook Animal Hospital's Blog: Watch What You Eat!

Monday, June 2, 2008

Watch What You Eat!


Hi, my name is Dale E.  and I am a 7 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  A few days ago, I wasn't feeling like my normal self, so my Mommy brought me to our friends at Kingsbrook Animal Hospital.  They looked me all over and gave me some injections to make my stomach feel better.  They even put an IV catheter in my leg and gave me some fluids because I was dehydrated.  After that, I still wasn't feeling better, so they had me drink a white liquid called 'barium' and then took a lot of x-rays of my belly.  They wanted to see if the barium (which shows up on x-rays) got stuck anywhere in my insides.  Sure enough, after a few hours, the barium hadn't moved much at all, and the doctors told my Mommy that I most likely ate something that became stuck in my intestines.  

The doctors and techs anesthetized me and took me to surgery to try to get whatever it was out before it made me really sick.  It didn't take long to find the culprit & remove it from my intestines.  My little snack turned out to be a fleece head band.  

Even though I just had surgery, I felt much better almost at once.  Now that it's been a few days, I'm really getting back to my normal self (but Mommy keeps looking at me, watching to make sure I don't eat anything else I'm not supposed to!)